Permit Required – $20.00
The Massachusetts State Fire Code and Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) allows for Open Burning in Berkley as long as the following conditions are met:
- Land has been designated by the Board of Assessors to be farm/agricultural land.
- A permit has been obtained from the Berkley Fire and Rescue Department.
- Open burning is only allowed on approved days 10:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- The fire and smoke must not pose a hazard to any property.
- Burning must take place on the agricultural property only.
- Designed for the burning of blueberry patches, raspberry stock, fruit tree pruning and affected beehives for disease control.
- Also designed for burning of brush and trees resulting from agricultural land clearing operations.
- Burning must be at least 75 feet from any building.
- A competent adult must be in attendance at all times.
Please remember that any fire should always be considered a hazard to curious children.
A permit is required. Permits are obtained at Berkley Fire and Rescue, 5 North Main Street, Berkley, MA 02779. Call (508) 822-7516 for more information.
If the fire department is called to your home for any type of outside fire, we reserve the right to extinguish or order any fire be extinguished at the fire officer’s discretion. Permits can be revoked or suspended at any time.